Saturday, 25 January 2014

My William Morris Quilt Made From A Wallpaper Sample Book

 
  
 
I can't quite believe that I started this mini quilt way back here.
My quilt making ability was a bit fat zero and I was always in awe of my gran's lovely quilt, I can always remember my grandad making templates out of metal in his little workshop in the backyard and then helping gran to cut all those fabrics and card templates so that she could start to sew her hexagon quilt.
I have never made a quilt of my own. This would be a huge undertaking, mainly because its size but also because of all that hand stitching involved!!!!!
When I was teaching I was given a wallpaper sample book by William Morris from a work colleague of mine, you know those large books interior designers use.  This one really was beautiful. Unfortunately the book was beyond saving as the children has cut up most of the wallpaper samples for their own school projects. The fabric section faired much better, however and I was able to salvage quite a few squares, which were backed in a thick gluey substance. I washed these squares many times to try and soften the fabric and remove the glue so they could be stitched together. I must admit I would have loved to have had the squares all neat, a regular shape and size but each square was different and I just had to make do.
Anyway, I managed to get enough to make a decent size for a mini quilt, which I attached using my sewing machine. I patched together length strips first and then joined these all together. Many of the squares didn't match up but I didn't really mind that as I knew it wouldn't be 'perfect' at the start. Once I had the squares joined, the quilt was backed with a lining fabric that had a layer of wadding to it. I used large tacking stitches to hold the quilt together in the centre sections. After a little help from my craft club ladies as to how to finish the corner sections, you can see it is almost finished.
It was going to be a blanket for Ned & Archie but I'm having a rethink now.
I've enjoyed making this mini quilt and it has given me the knowledge to go on and make another one day. I have an idea of making a memory quilt using the kids clothes and special extra nice fabrics that I have always liked and sample swatches  (you know like the you can get from fabric manufacturers but don't know what to do with.) 
I do know that I have such admiration for my gran and all those hours she put into making her quilt. XxX

1 comment:

Anne said...

This is a lovely quilt! Thanks for the pictures.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...