Monday, 21 October 2013

Antique Crewel Work Case

I purchased this crewel work case a few weeks ago now, but have only just got round to photographing it. It is the latest addition to my 'antique sewing notions' collection, now I mean that in the loosest sense as I only have a few items so far! This caught my eye because of my interest in embroidery & crewel work and I thought that there was a lovely selection of coloured crewel wools to use. When it arrived however, it was obvious that was something more special. Firstly it was definitely antique and unusual. Secondly the lady that I bought it from had enclosed some information stating that the same article is in the collection of Manchester Art Gallery where it is given the following description:
Object Name: sewing case                                  Date: 1850-1900
Description:  Coarse fawn cotton (Holland) embroidered straight piece, edges bound red woollen braid, one end shaped to blunt point and with red woollen tie for fastening; broad band applied on wrong side, with parallel lines of stitching across its width to form slots filled with coloured wools; bent wire threader in end slot, printed "CREWEL THREADER"; two green flannel tabs for needles; end of case embroidered in green, brown and white wools, in stem and satin stitch, with rose spray and "CREWELS".
Dimensions Height: 66 cm Width: 31.8 cm
What a lovely piece of history. I sometimes think it is as important to learn about the tools & notions that were used along with the actual embroidery stitches used. Hope you find this as interesting as I do.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...