Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Blackwork Sampler Update

  
 I have been concentrating on the Black Work Sampler I started at my brothers house over the summer. Here is an update of the story so far. I must admit it is painstakingly slow but very enjoyable. I don't know why I'm enjoying doing this sampler so much, it may be the contrast with the black thread against the pale linen. There is something so calming and therapeutic about creating these stitches that it almost becomes addictive. I tend to do most of the work during the night when I am unable to sleep due to pain. I listen to Radio 4/extra with my headphones on so as not to disturb R, and catch up on all those plays I have missed during the week. I really love this time, there are no pressures to any other day to day chores, its just my time.
I have also started learning crewel work and raised embroidery stitches. I came across some beautiful designs on Pinterest and this has really fuelled my interest. I'm using some Appleton wool (left over fron the Emily Peacock cushion) on plain linen and just practising some of the easier stitches first!

I have also come across this delicious recipe for Vanilla Bean & Fig Shortbread drizzled with honey glaze. I just have to try it. I'm a massive fan of shortbread so this is an exciting recipe for me to try.  My father-in-law has an enormous fig tree in his front garden and I usually get a carrier bag of figs every year. So when they arrive this is what I'll be trying out. Yum eee!

figshortbreadsmall4

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...