Sunday, 5 May 2013

Vintage/Antique Embroidered Bags

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I recently purhased a wool work vintage bag from the internet. Occasionally you come across something really quite wonderful like this one. When it arrived in the post however, it was a real disappointment. Firstly, it honked of cigarette smoke and the main body of material was very dirty. It didn't look anything like the picture advertised, so it had obviously been digitally enhanced (beware of this if you are purchasing online). I wouldn't have been able to use it in that state so I had to try and clean it very gently in a cool wash and with plenty of soaking. I was really happy with how it came out and with all the grime gone, it showed off the true colours of the wool threads. (I haven't touched up these photos at all!!) The silk lining is in need of replacing and I'm looking forward to doing that soon.
 
Lulu Skye really suprised me today by stitching and making a shoulder bag!. She was working away upstairs for most of the day and did this all by herself. I can't express how thrilled I was with it. She designed and stitched the whole project herself and I think she did an amazing job. Love the colour choice too!!! Lots of love and kisses to you, xxxxx
 
The rabbits were enjoying their afternoon exercise in our back yard. Its great there because its totally secure (which is what you really need with rabbits as they do like to dig!). They have to be supervised at all times, though, as they do like to munch on my garden plants, not being particularly fussy, anything will do. I found this out, much to my horror last summer when they must have eaten over £60 worth of plants in about 10 minutes, and they had just had their bunny brunch! They are just so adorable though and very fluffy. They are losing their winter coats at the mo and there are big tufts of fluffy fur all over the hutch and garden. We have been grooming them and Miffy (the white one) really doesn't seem to mind at all, in fact he gets quite relaxed and floppy when brushed.
 
I've been inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee to make a garment this summer. In my teens I would spend many a night making skirts, blouses & dresses with some pretty fabrics bought locally and from John Lewis. I'm looking for a pattern to make a dress, hopefully 50's style so will blog about that soon. Also, the Emily Peacock 'Kiss' cushion is almost complete so I am looking for suitable fabric/trimming to make it up. I didn't realise how expensive zips were so I may have to re-think how I do the closing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...